Image Map

Friday, March 22, 2013

Tuna Pasta Salad

I hope everyone had a wonderful first official week of spring! I am loving this change in weather, and all the beautiful blooms, I can not wait to get started on my garden.
Because I've been in such the spring spirit, a few days ago I woke up with this craving, for a light, refreshing, springtime, tuna pasta salad. 
I know right? Weird craving. 
I know what you're thinking.. No, I'm not pregnant. 

Anyways I must say with a little food network inspiration, I think I hit a home run with this recipe and I would love to share it with you!
The best part- it's great for you!

Ingredients
❤ 4 hard boiled eggs
❤ 1 6oz can of tuna
❤2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
❤1 cup Vegenaise (or mayonnaise)
❤ 1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
❤ Juice from 1 lemon
Spices
❤ 12 oz of whole wheat pasta (I used bowtie)
❤ Parsley (optional)
The eggs and the tuna are amino acid powerhouses. You are getting some quality protein in this meal thanks to these two ingredients. 
Just brush your teeth after.
I'm not sure if you're going to want to pack this one for lunch at the office...
Your celery and carrots, we are talking about some serious fiber! And who doesn't need more fiber, right?
Okay here's the sitch: Mayo has no place in my pantry. Not saying it is going to kill you, because it won't, but we all know it doesn't do anything for us. If you're getting the real good stuff, it will be made of eggs, oil and vinegar but when are labels ever that simple?
I'd like to introduce my solution: vegenaise. Egg free, dairy free, gluten free, made from canola oil.
But my real reason: think half the fat, same flavor.
This stuff is gooey gold.
Anyways, for the sauce I used 1 cup of vegenaise, 1 tablespoon of mustard, and all the juice I could get from a single lemon. Plus a dash of garlic powder here, a pinch of salt and pepper there. You know how it goes.
Whisk that all together and pour over your pasta, stir in your toppings and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I am definitely going to have to whip this up in the next few days, thank you for sharing!! LOVING your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! My mom and I ate almost the whole thing in one sitting it turned out so good. I'm loving yours too!!

      Delete
  2. Great recipe. Love the pictures. Visiting from AB Petite's link up. I'm hosting a link up next Thursday March 28. Hope you can join. FOllowing you on bloglovin, would appreciate it if you followed me as well.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terra, I found your blog through Follow Friend Friday. This looks so delicious! I've been looking for a good pasta salad - going to try it this week.
    :) Angela
    http://adventurestorememberfl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete