Image Map

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Vegetarian Pot Pie

Hello my dearies! Yes, I'm still alive and cooking. Just on a time budget now!
I want to share a new favorite of mine, a vegetarian pot pie. It's pretty easy, and the nicest part of it..is it reheats wonderfully!! 

You're going to need:
2 medium potatoes
2 medium carrots
A half of a white onion
1 cup of low fat milk
1 cup of broth (chicken or mushroom)
Parsley 
Peas
White Vinegar
Defrosted Puff Pastry
An Egg Yolk
Chicken or tofu (if you fancy)
You're going to start by doing a good job of chopping up your veggies. 
I like mine a little bigger, but chop as your heart desires.
 And the onions too.
 You're going to want to panfry them on medium low heat for a little while, probably 5-6 minutes, until the onions become slightly transparent.
Then turn the heat on low and coat with flour, I used 1/4 cup
Then add a cup of broth and a cup of milk, and stir and simmer until the mixture gets nice and thick and creamy. It only takes a minute.
 At this point, you're going to remove the mixture from heat and add a handful of parsley,
 and a cup of peas. As you can see, mine are quite frozen, but it really doesn't matter.
 Also, can't forget a tablespoon of white vinegar. It just brings all the flavors together so nicely.
Doesn't that look beautiful?? All those colors... This is how I do art.
 Okay, transfer into an 8x8 pan. Yes, if you look closely you can see that I snuck some separately cooked tofu into there. I won't be doing that again, Alex thought I was tricking him into eating it. Note to self: next time chicken, or nothing at all.
 Now take your defrosted puff pastery, and cut it to fit over your pie, if necessary.
 Brush the top with your egg yolk, and stick it with a fork or knife a couple times to let the steam out when it cooks.
 Pop it in the oven at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes and voila! 
Customize it, add mushrooms, leeks, whatever floats your boat.
And enjoy : )

6 comments:

  1. Wow, looks incredible!!! Must try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I hope you like it! Thanks for the love girlfriend!!

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! I would have never thought to add, gonna have to try that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and it's so easy it kills me!! Haha I'm glad that I've inspired you : )

      Delete
  3. Great recipe! My daughter is a vegetarian and would love this bit of comfort food.

    Thanks for sharing.

    I found your site from the My Turn for Us party. I am now a fan of your blog, Pinterst and twitter!

    Look forward to seeing what you will be blogging about!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww sounds like your daughter and I would get along! Haha, thank you so much for following me I have followed you back as well!

      Delete