Image Map

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Israeli Cous Cous


Hello again my friends. Today I would like to introduce you to this wonderful little grain, cous cous. Maybe you have heard of it before, it comes in many different forms and all forms are growing in popularity. I'm going to show you an easy throw-in-whatever-you-have recipe that is great when you are needing to make dinner the night before you go the grocery store. I like to keep a box or two of Israeli cous cous for a time such as this.
Here is what I used:
  • Tri-colored Israeli Cous Cous
  • Red Bell Pepper
  • Carrots
  • Kale
  • Pepper Jack Cheese
Now, I'm sure that different brands have different cooking instructions, but they all involve boiling water and adding the cous cous until it absorbs all the water. Like cooking rice.
So while that is cooking ( it usually takes about ten minutes), I like to sauté up whatever veggies I have on hand and my favorites are carrots and bell peppers. This is the throw-in-what-you-have method comes into play. Throw in an onion, throw in some garlic, broccoli, mushrooms, whatever floats your boat.

This is kale. Super food. Its pretty packed with vitamins and such, and it is pretty gnarly to eat raw, so I like to sauté it and throw it into meals wherever I can. So here i used 1/4 cup of chicken stock and cooked the kale in it until it was wilted.
Here is what the cooked up cous cous looks like. Mmmm it's making me hungry.
This is what it is supposed to look like when it's all ready.
With cous cous you can never go wrong with cheese! Unless you're lactose intolerant. In that case, I offer my deepest condolences. But I had pepper jack cheese in my fridge, but my cheese of preference for this dish in mozzarella. 

Now, while it's warm I put it all together in the pot and let the cheese melt right in there, and all the flavors collaborate.
Mix it up, put it in a bowl, or on a plate next to some good chicken breast or something. Get creative with it. Have fun and Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lovin all of these meatless meals!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. The current Food on Friday is all about Rice and other grains! So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Wishing you a very happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the cous cous looks so pretty! We can't get cous cous that's like that in the UK, it's also often the really fine grain one rather than the larger type. It is really pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Israeli Cous Cous is pretty difficult to find around here too, but I've learned where to look : )
      I like it a lot more than the fine cous cous.
      Thank you for stopping in!

      Delete
  6. Terra, thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We are now starting to get quite a collection of rice/grain dishes together. Do stop by some of the other links to check them out!

    Ps I have just signed up to follow your blog. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or have you already followed? Cheers

    ReplyDelete